The University of Michigan has agreed to a $ 490 million settlement with hundreds of people who say they have been sexually assaulted by a former sports doctor at the school, those involved in the deal said Wednesday.
Attorney Parker Stinar said 1,050 people will benefit from the settlement, which was reached the night before.
University spokesman Rick Fitzgerald confirmed the settlement and said a statement would be released later Wednesday.
"I am proud to announce that a settlement has been reached with the 1,050 survivors from Robert Anderson and the University of Michigan," Stinar said. "It has been a long and challenging journey, and I believe this settlement will bring justice and healing to the many brave men and women who refused to be silenced."
The university had been in mediation to resolve several lawsuits by mostly men who said Anderson sexually abused them during routine medical examinations. Anderson worked at the university from 1966 until his retirement in 2003 and was director of the university's health service and physician for several athletic teams, including football.
A number of football players and other athletes have come forward to accuse Anderson, who died in 2008, of sexually abusing them.
A report from a company employed by the school stated that staff missed many opportunities to stop Anderson during his 37-year career.
The university is regularly ranked among the best public universities in the United States
The deal came just after two men who say they had been sexually assaulted by Anderson called for a change of leadership with the weekend's firing of University President Mark Schlissel, which would allow the school to be more accountable to abuse victims.
Keith Moree and Robert Stone told reporters Tuesday that the Ann Arbor School is ripe for a culture change as its board conducts a search to permanently replace Schlissel, who was removed Saturday because of an alleged "inappropriate relationship with a university employee."